1. H&R Block Won’t Tell You: “We are NOT CPA’s, just data entry workers.”
They charge you so much more than a CPA, but in fact they are just data entry workers who took a simple test through the I.R.S. They are not anymore qualified than anyone else to do your taxes yet they charge a ridiculous fee.
2. H&R Block Won’t Tell You: “We are SO Overcharging You”
They charge ridiculous fee for the actual services they offer. They will actually charge you for each form they fill out. Your costs could be four or more times more than if you used an accountant.
3. H&R Block Won’t Tell You: “Your SSN is not Secure With Us”
Recently they mailed their TaxCut to their unsuspecting previous tax preparation customers. The packages displayed the customers Social Security number (SSN) on the outside of the envelopes. The SSNs were part of a longer string of numbers included on each package’s address label.
4. H&R Block Won’t Tell You: “You Don’t Have to Accept Our Fees”
If you actually go into one of their offices and sit down with an employee, and the go over all of your information, typing it in, and asking questions, and at the end come up with an exorbitant fee for their services….you can say no. You do not have to accept their fee, you don’t have to pay, and you can take your paperwork and leave.
5. H&R Block Won’t Tell You: “We Makes Errors”
Their employees can make the same errors as you on your tax preparation forms. Their errors will end up costing you money, and they will take no responsibility for those errors.
6. H&R Block Won’t Tell You: “Rapid Refund is Not Rapid”
Filing taxes early is the best way to get a quick refund. They have no more pull with the IRS than anyone else in getting a quick refund. Early tax filers will get quick refunds from the IRS and state governments by using Tele-file or an online tax service and having the money directly deposited into a bank account or by having a check sent to their mailing address.
7. H&R Block Won’t Tell You: “Our Refund Application Loan is a Scam”
Their Refund Application Loan that supposedly gets customers their refunds quickly. First, you need to approved for the loan. Second, the money could end up being deposited in the H&R Block account, not in yours. Thirdly, they will then charge you a check fee to get that refund.
8. H&R Block Won’t Tell You: “We Chargee $100 for a Free Service”
They charge $100 and more for electronic filing of even the simplest of tax form, including the E-Z Form.
9. H&R Block Won’t Tell You: “Our Employees are Glorified Data Entry Workers
Their employees can read, talk and type. They have no actual knowledge about tax law than the average person.
10. H&R Block Won’t Tell You: “Despite Complaints and Class Action Suits We are Still Raking in the Cash
This tax preparation service made 3.8 billion dollars in 2002.
Compiled from personal experience, anecdotal information, and actual complaints found on Consumer Affairs web sites. Find a safe, less costly and smarter alternative to H&R Block during tax season.