Tag Archives: irs help

IRS Refund Schedule Updated

We updated our IRS E-File Cycle Chart today to account for the IRS changing the payout dates from Thursday to Wednesday. Check out the changes and please let us know if you find any problems.

2015 IRS Tax Refund Schedule.

Having trouble with the IRS Where’s My Refund tool? Here are some handy tools to decipher your way around this.

How to read your IRS tax account transcript.

Tax Topic 151

Tax Topic 152

Tax Topic 203

Tax Topic 452



Other helpful tools:

Where’s My State Refund? State Tax Return Information

Estimate your tax return online

File your Taxes for Free Online

Affordable Care Act and It’s affect on your taxes


Updated for the 2014 Tax Year (2015 Tax Season)

One of the most pressing questions in the life of an early tax filer – when can I expect my tax refund to come? Before e-filing, this was always difficult to predict. First, you mail in your return. Then someone inputs all your information (and later, computers scanned in your information), then the Treasury had to issue a check, which was then mailed to you. Now, with a free IRS e-file, you can get your refund in as little as 8 days from when you file, if you elect for direct deposit.

For 9 out of 10 taxpayers, the IRS issued refunds in less than 21 days from the date the return was received last year.

For the 2015 tax filing season, the IRS announced that it will start accepting eFile and paper returns on January 20, 2015. You can find the press release here.

2012 Income Tax Return, When to file

 When should you file your 2012 Income Tax Return?2012 Income Tax Return

The tax law sets deadlines for filing 2012 income tax returns. However, there is room to maneuver, and the time you choose to file depends on your personal situation. Here are some guidelines to help you decide on the best time for you to file your return.

File early

The filing season for 2012 income tax returns officially opened in end of January 2013 when the IRS began to accept electronically-filed returns. Most individuals do not file before the beginning of February in order to receive information returns, such as W-2s and 1099s, which are usually sent to taxpayers at the end of January; this information is needed to complete the return.

There are some compelling reasons to file as early as possible, once the necessary information is available:

• To receive a tax refund. If you overpaid your 2012 taxes, the longer you wait, the longer the government has the use of your money on an interest-free basis. Usually, you can expect to receive your refund within 72 hours after IRS acknowledges receipt of your e-filed return, or three to four weeks after mailing a paper return. However, the IRS has recently indicated that some refunds may be delayed a week or two due to security measures against fraud.

• To apply a refund to 2012 IRA or HSA contributions. You can direct the IRS to transfer your refund directly to an IRA or Health Savings Account (HSA) for 2012, assuming you are eligible to make a contribution. If you want the refund to be used for a contribution that will be deducted on the 2012 income tax return, the return must be filed early enough to ensure that the transfer is complete before April 15, 2013, the deadline for a 2012 contribution. Use Form 8888 to indicate the account to which you want your refund transferred; you can split the refund into as many as three accounts.

• To get the filing obligation behind you. Many taxpayers dread income tax filing, so the sooner they complete the task, the better off they feel.

April 15

The deadline for filing the 2012 income tax return is April 15, 2013. The majority of taxpayers file by this date; it avoids the need to request a filing extension.

Even if you normally might ask for an extension because you don’t get around to completing the return by this date, you may have to force yourself to do so in certain situations, such as:

• Needing a completed tax return for financial aid purposes if you, your spouse, or your child is in or will attend college.

• Needing a completed tax return if you want to refinance your mortgage.

If, for any reason, you want more time, you have to request a filing extension by April 15. This is done on Form 4868. But beware: The extension only gives you more time to file the return, not to pay taxes owed. If you obtain a filing extension, pay as much of the tax you owe to minimize or avoid underpayment penalties.

October 15

The final day to file your 2012 income tax return is Oct. 15, 2012, assuming you’ve received a filing extension. If you file after this date, you’ll owe late filing penalties.

This date is also the last day to file electronically. If you miss the deadline, you’ll have to submit a paper return.

2012 income tax efile

There are no IRS indications or taxpayer anecdotes to show that filing by this date creates any additional audit exposure. So take advantage of this extra time to file if you need it for such reasons as:

• Family problems. If there’s an illness, a move, or other personal issues distracting you, take the extra time—to October 15—to file the return.

• Obtaining missing information. For example, if you’re an owner in an S corporation, partnership, or limited liability company, you may not receive until September 15 the Schedule K-1 indicating the share of income and expenses you claim on your return.

• Funding a SEP retirement plan if you are self-employed.You may not have the cash before this date to make your contribution.

Final thought: When in doubt about the best time to file your return, talk to a tax advisor in your area or online.

%d bloggers like this: